By David Punter,Glennis Byron
- Provides an summary of the main major concerns and debates in Gothic studies.
- Explains the origins and improvement of the time period Gothic.
- Explores the evolution of the Gothic in either literary and non-literary varieties, together with artwork, structure and film.
- Features authoritative readings of key works, starting from Horace Walpole’s The fortress of Otranto to Bret Easton Ellis’s American Psycho.
- Considers recurrent matters of the Gothic similar to persecution and paranoia, key motifs resembling the haunted fort, and figures corresponding to the vampire and the monster.
- Includes a chronology of key Gothic texts, together with fiction and movie from the 1760s to the current day, and a finished bibliography.
Read Online or Download The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
The severe background gathers jointly a wide physique of severe resources on significant figures in literature. every one quantity offers modern responses to a writer's paintings, permitting scholars and researchers to learn for themselves, for instance, reviews on early performances of Shakespeare's performs, or reactions to the 1st book of Jane Austen's novels.
This advisor presents an outline of the main major concerns and debates in Gothic reports. presents an summary of the main major matters and debates in Gothic reviews. Explains the origins and improvement of the time period Gothic. Explores the evolution of the Gothic in either literary and non-literary varieties, together with paintings, structure and picture.
Bearing in mind the recognition and diversity of the style, this collaborative quantity considers quite a lot of English Romantic autobiographical writers and modes, together with working-class autobiography, the prevalent essay, and the staged presence. within the wake of Rousseau's Confessions, autobiography grew to become an more and more renowned in addition to a literary mode of writing.
This quantity boldly proposes that the center of the Arthurian and Holy Grail traditions derived now not from Celtic mythology, yet particularly from the folklore of the peoples of historical Scythia (what are actually the South Russian and Ukrainian steppes). additionally contains 19 maps.
- Classicism and Romanticism in Italian Literature: Leopardi's Discourse on Romantic Poetry (Warwick Series in the Humanities)
- The Romance of Tristran by Beroul and Beroul II: Student Edition and English Translation
- Shelley and the Musico-Poetics of Romanticism
- The Romantic National Tale and the Question of Ireland (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
- Unsettled Remains: Canadian Literature and the Postcolonial Gothic
- Journeys into Darkness: Critical Essays on Gothic Horror (Studies in Supernatural Literature)
Extra info for The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature)
The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature) by David Punter,Glennis Byron